Thursday, September 16, 2010

COBALT IS ELEMENT #27.

1. My Name: It is Cobalto in Italian, Kobolt in Swedish, and Kobalt in Dutch. The word Cobalt, came from the German word "Kobald" meaning goblin or evil spirit.

2. My Image: 







3: My Nucleus: Cobalt has 27 neutrons and 27 protons. My natural occuring isotope is 59%. And my atomic mass is 58. 933195.

4. My electrons:  I have 27 electrons in my neutral atom, and I have 15 electrons in my third shell.

5: My atom: I have 135 pm, which is 1.35x10 (to the power of -10)

6: My properties: I'm rather hard and brittle, I appear in the form of ore, and i am quite heavy (:

7: My home (body, plant, universe): My body is 8.90 grams, my abundance in earth's crust is 17,000 tons.

8. My beautiful compounds:   








9. My story: Minerals containing me, were of value to the early civilizations of Egypt and Mesopotamia for colouring glass deep blue. I was announced to be a element by George Brandt in 1739. He had been trying to demonstrate that the blue colour of glass was because of a new element, me (: rather than bismuth.

10. My jobs:  I am an integral part of vitamin B12, which is vital to the formation of red blood cells, and I am currently being used in biomedic research for cancer treatment methods.

11: A funny story about me?: I don't know if you would exactly call this funny but...I got the name Cobalt from the origin of Kobalt-meaning evil spirit, because back then miners, thought the metal part in me was poisinous. Hahaha..that didnt sound too funny..

12: Reference: Www.wikianswers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment